Small Claims Information

You may file your claim in this court only if:

  • The party you are suing resides, operates a business or is employed at the time of cause of action arose or the time the complaint was filed OR in a case involving injury to person or property, the injury was committed in this township. In a case involving a person who has contracted to perform an obligation at a particular place, the township would be where the obligation is or was to be performed, unless there is a special contract to the contrary.  You must have both a current physical and mailing address of the defendant. If your claim meets this criteria, you will file your claim at the Tonopah Justice Court, 101 Radar Road, Tonopah, NV 89049 (775)482-8155.
  • You are 18 years of age or older.
  • You have demanded payment of the amount for which you are suing.  A letter sent by certified mail with return receipt serves as proof that a demand has been made.  Allow sufficient time for a reply. If there is no satisfactory reply, bring in your post office certified mail receipt or other proof, and we will file your claim.
  • Your claim is for money only and does not exceed $10,000. If your claim is for more that $10,000, you may waive any amount over that sum and sue for just $10,000; however, you cannot divide a claim and file separate actions to reduce the sum claimed to meet the maximum allowed. If your claim exceeds $10,000, we suggest you contact an attorney.

Small Claims Packet

Additional information can be obtained by clicking the link below.

Civil Law Self-Help Center