Marriage Officiant Licensing and Applications

All Ministers, Religious Officials, and Notaries Public who wish to perform marriage ceremonies in Nevada must obtain a Certificate of Permission to Solemnize Marriages from the County Clerk.

Public Search of Nevada Marriage Officiants
The Nevada Secretary of State's Office has created a database containing information on persons granted to perform marriages in the State of Nevada. The Nevada Marriage Officiant Public Search allows the public to search by name, county, or church affiliation.

Per Chapter 122 of the Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) 
An applicant must be a licensed, ordained, or appointed minister, or other church or religious official; in good standing with their church or religious organization and authorized to perform a marriage ceremony by that organization. The applicant's church or religious organization must be incorporated, organized or established in Nevada and the applicant's ministry must be one of service to a church or religious organization. Ministers and religious officials living outside of the State of Nevada may apply for permission to perform a single marriage ceremony.

A Notary Public appointed by the Nevada Secretary of State and in good standing pursuant to Chapter 240 of NRS, may apply for a Certificate of Permission to Perform Marriages. If granted, the certificate remains in effect until the Notary Public's commission expires. If the Notary Public renews his/her commission, he/she must reapply for a new Certificate of Authority to Perform Marriages.
Single Ceremonies may be performed by licensed, ordained, or appointed ministers, or other church or religious official who reside in-state or out-of-state. A Notary Public may perform single ceremonies who reside in-state only. Please see Applications below.

Application Processing 
To obtain a Certificate of Permission to Perform Marriages in the State of Nevada, complete and submit the correct application. (see below)

To avoid delays in processing, applicants should ensure all questions are answered and documents are signed by the appropriate party and notarized. Applicants must submit original documents with original signatures and notarization. Applications may not be faxed or sent via email. Your Certificate of Permission to Perform Marriages will be sent to you via U.S. mail unless other arrangements are made.

Background checks are required for the following applications:
Minister or Religious Official Permanent Certificate
Notary Public Active Certificate

Applications for a Single Marriage Ceremony do not require a background check. These applications should be submitted 3-4 weeks in advance of the wedding date to allow sufficient processing time.

There is a non-refundable application fee of $30.00 effective July 1, 2019 for processing EACH application. We accept cash, money orders or local check for payment of this fee.

Application Forms and Instructions